I had to share this experience because it made me chuckle! I have noticed that in North Lincolnshire as with many other places I'm sure, it's all about who you know. Jobs are found and businesses are recommended or condemned by word of mouth a lot round here. Today I am guilty of pulling a "it's who you know" stunt!
Our car went in for its MOT last week and failed miserably. We booked it back in on Tuesday to get repaired. It was in the garage from 8am until 5pm, but when we went to collect it, we were told it wasn't ready. I wasn't best pleased, since Lewis was at work today and the garage is a 16 mile round trip away...it meant a lot of hassle for me.
Now the only reason we use this particular garage is because my Grandad will moan for AGES if he finds out we took the car anywhere else. The owner is a friend of my grandparents. So today I used this to my advantage. Unable to collect the car by myself, and with Lewis at work, I called Grandad to ask him for a lift to the garage. I also mentioned that they had messed me about a bit and that I got the impression they were stretching it out a bit. I came home from work today to find Grandad sat in his car, in my driveway. Odd, I thought since I hadn't called the garage to see if the car was ready. Get in the car says Grandad (I censored that!) Err, ok but is my car ready?? Yes says Grandad...How do you know this? Says me. I called them this morning says Grandad. Uh oh me thinks!
We arrived at the garage to be met by the owner, I get out of the car with Grandad, to be greeted with "I didn't know she was one of your lasses John!" mechanics were scurrying, and my car was presented back to me, hurray! He he me thinks!
Now it absolutely should not make a difference whether I was one of "John's lasses" or not, but sometimes it does, and sometimes it pays to know people...you know?
No comments:
Post a Comment