but as it happens I just did! After months of anticipation I am finally the proud owner of a creative memories milestones albums. It's so lovely I just sit a and stroke it...but here comes my problem...it's so nice I don't want to use it!!!! I am going to have to reserve it for scrap booking those special days I think.
Which reminds me, we have just "booked in" Caitlin's baptism, which will be on her eighth birthday - the 26th of February. She is having great fun organising it!
On a more serious note, I learnt something the other day on my training course which I feel I must share with every parent I know. It's a little delicate. The lady taking the session on "sexualised behaviour in the classroom" stressed to us the importance of using the correct names for various parts of the body, particularly genitals. She gave us two examples, one was about a boy who had been abused (dreadful I know) but because he accused the abuser of touching his "little man" the defence barrister gave the argument that the boy was referring to an action figure the accused abuser had purchased for the little boy. The second case was about a young girl who had been spoken to openly by her parents about this topic. Sadly she was abused which is awful, but she was able to give a very articulate statement to the police and as a result a conviction was easily achieved. Now I am sure, as Lewis pointed out, that there were other factors involved here. But it seems to me that should a child ever be in that situation (heaven forbid) it makes getting a conviction a lot easier if the child can use the correct words. It's a frightening world, but please pass this message on.
2 comments:
See, I told you so! Stop shuddering every time my son says "penis!" Although, to be honest, I'm struggling with having a girl now :)
Me to! I have no problem with teaching the boys the right word, but for girls it's just not nice!
Post a Comment